Assigning user permissions
SkyPoint Cloud's Modern Data Stack Platform (MDSP) aligns with the NIST 800-207 standard for Zero Trust. This is the most vendor-neutral, comprehensive standard, not just for government entities but for any organization. It also encompasses other elements from organizations like Forrester’s ZTX and Gartner’s CARTA.
This section is one of the key features of any platform as it ensures a secure and safe environment to work on data that is sensitive in all aspects. To provide security, there are certain roles defined to ensure that every user gets access to only those sections of the platform which they require preventing unnecessary access to anyone.
Admins can add users and provide access to the SkyPoint Cloud platform. An admin can add, edit, or remove users. A user can be an individual, a group, or an application. Users can have three types of roles:
To perform the user settings
Admin has the option to Add user, Invite user, Assign role, Unlink user and Delete user. On the platform, users can be invited by email and can be assigned the required role to access the SkyPoint Cloud platform.
- In the left pane, go to Settings > Platform.
- Click the Users tab.
The Users page appears.
Every row in the Users list view corresponds to a single user and every column has some specific table related to that user. Some important column attributes are:
|Email of the user.|
|Source||An account that was used for logging in.|
|Type||By default, it displays "User".|
|Role||The assigned role to that particular user such as TenantAdmin, InstanceAdmin, etc.|
|Status||Status is of two types: |
|Multi-tenant||It shows two types:|
|Action||Option to delete, unlink or block a user. To perform any of the three actions, click on the horizontal ellipsis and select the action you want to perform.|
Create a new user
Follow the below steps to create a new user:
- In the Users tab, click Add user.
The pop-up window appears to add a new user.
- Select the Role that you want to assign the user from the drop-down list.
- Enter First name and Last name.
- Enter your Email address.
- Enter your Password and Confirm password.
- Click Save to apply your changes.
Invite a user
Follow the below steps to invite a user:
- In the Users tab, click Invite users.
The pop-up window appears to invite a user.
- Select the Role that you want to assign the user from the drop-down list. You can select the following role for the user:
|Contributor||The Contributor role gives authority to carry out data-related activities on the platform. It is recommended for users who perform data ingestion on the platform and create solutions like Audience and Metrics.|
|InstanceAdmin||Users having an Instance Administrator role can perform contributor roles and manage instance-related activities.|
|TenantAdmin||Users having a Tenant Administrator role can perform contributor roles and manage tenant-related activities.|
|Viewer||The Viewer role on the platform has the most limitations. Users can only view the data but cannot modify or create anything on the platform.|
- Enter User emails for the users whom you want to invite and assign the particular role. If you want to invite multiple users, separate the mail ID with a semicolon (;).
- Click Save.
Assign a role to the user
Follow the below steps to assign a new role to the user:
- In the Users tab, click Assign role.
The pop-up window appears to assign a new role to the user.
- Select the type of Role that you want to assign from the drop-down list.
- You can type Search users to whom you want to assign a particular role.
- Click Save to complete the assignment process. The user will be assigned that particular role.
Follow the below steps to unlink users from the particular activity:
- In the Users tab, click on the checkbox on the side of the user that you want to unlink.
- You will see that the Unlink users button on top of the page gets enabled. Click Unlink users to disconnect users.
- You can also unlink users after clicking the horizontal ellipsis and selecting Unlink under the Action column.
- You will receive the dialog box for your confirmation. Select Yes to unlink the user.
Follow the below steps to delete the user:
- In the Users tab, click on the checkbox on the side of the user that you want to remove.
- You will see that the Delete users button on top of the page gets enabled. Click Delete users to remove users.
- You can also remove users after clicking the horizontal ellipsis and selecting Delete under the Action column.
- You will receive the dialog box for your confirmation. Select Yes to remove the user.